A brisk afternoon breeze, chilly nights (chili dinners too!), cozy sweaters and colorful foliage signal that fall is truly here. And in this season of noticeable change, it’s time to talk about some great ways to change up your hair game. Whether you’re going for a modest modification or total transformation, our favorite fall hair trends follow.
- Ponytails are on holiday with a fresher pulled back look taking hold for fall: the knot. Whether an elegant chignon or an artfully disheveled loop pinned at the nape of the neck, it’s a classic that works for every hair type and texture, and a timesaver when you’re not in the mood to shampoo, blow dry and style.
- Deep side parts, a la 1940s Hollywood, are huge right now. A precise part on either the left or right side is a strong, sexy look that works equally well on stick straight strands or lush waves. Added benefit: switching your part is beneficial because the longer you wear the same part, the more you wear your hair down in that area which can cause breakage.
- Colors that sound as if they’re straight off a Starbucks menu are what we’re loving, starting with pumpkin spice, a rich copper, and caramel swirl, a warm blonde/brunette mash up.
- Red is always in, from all over auburn to an amazing balayage of golden blonde painted over russet strands. Note: to stay red as long as possible don’t overuse heat tools and when you do, apply a protectant spray. Also use products that are safe for color-treated hair.
- Brunettes can get an amazing-looking update with warm-toned streaks such as amber, chestnut and chocolate, all of which will add dimension.
There’s nothing like a haircut to feel instantly energized, whether taking off several inches or snipping unruly split ends. Here are our favorite fall looks that simply require a great stylist and a pair of scissors:
- The lob – this versatile mid-length ‘bob’ skims the shoulders and is the perfect way to change things up whether going shorter or growing out. And speaking of growing, here’s a great addition to your daily routine.
- Bangs – take off years and add volume to your hair in one fell swoop when your stylist cuts a mod fringe or classic straight-across style.
- The undercut – Gentlemen we haven’t forgotten you and are here to inform you the undercut continues unabated for fall for good reason: close cropped on the sides with a bit of length on top equals a perfectly polished, groomed look every guy wants.